Pocahontas County Board of Education Meeting Agenda, Monday, 3-11-19
On Monday, March 11th at 6:00 p.m., the Pocahontas County Board of Education will its regular meeting at the Board of Education Conference Room in Buckeye with the following agenda.
The meeting will begin with approval of the minutes from the February 25th Board of Education meeting. After approving of agenda for this meeting, the Board will hear comments from the public – called “Delegations.”
Next the Board will receive Mr. Beam’s Superintendent’s Report and any Special Recognitions he wishes to offer followed by an informational report from Jarod Liptrap, the Student Representative to the Board of Education.
The Board will then examine and consider approval of the following routine financial matters:
Payment of vender claims; the February 19st employee payroll; Grant awards; Budget adjustments; and Extra Duty Pay for February.
In addition to the routine financial items, the Board will consider the following two financial items:
- Approval of the annual Memorandum of Agreement with the West Virginia University Cooperative Extension Service/
- Approval for the Pocahontas County Board of Education to cancel the flood insurance on the old Board Office building located at 926 Fifth Ave, Marlinton -retroactive to March 6, 2019
The Board will then consider the following from the Miscellaneous portion of the agenda:
- Approval of the 2019 -2020 School Calendar and the Reimagining Time Non-Traditional Instruction Days Application for the Pocahontas County Schools.
- Approval of Policy BCBM -Board of Education Meetings.
- Approval for Green Bank Elementary-Middle School students to travel to Massanutten Indoor Waterpark, McGaheysville, VA on May 13th from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. -trip paid for by fundraising
- Approval for Marlinton Middle School students to travel to Massanutten Indoor Waterpark, McGaheysville, VA on May 20th from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. -trip paid for by fundraising
- Approval of Jessie Sharp and Ronnie Gordon as Volunteer Basketball Coaches for the 4th and 5th grade at Marlinton Elementary School
- Approval of Kelley Andrews Meck as a Parent/Community Volunteer for the schools
- Approval for Samantha Hefner to take her children out of school on educational leave from March 21st to April 4th.
- Approval for Patrick D. Gibson, Justin Kerr, and Crystal Kerr to transport 8 to 12 students by private vehicle to the SkillsUSA Competition in Bridgeport/Clarksburg, WV on March 21st through March 23rd. Trip paid for by CTE and school funds.
- Approval of the professional and service personnel agenda found at the end of this story.
They will then end the meeting with a “matters of the Board” session where each Board Member can speak to the Board and the public.
March 11, 2019
Professional and Service Personnel
Pocahontas County Schools
EMPLOYMENT: SILAS L. SATTLER, from Substitute School Bus Operator for Pocahontas County Schools to School Bus Operator Pocahontas County Schools, effective March 13, 2019 for the remainder of the 2018-2019 school year as follows:
Morning Run: Leave Green Bank Elementary Middle School and travel to Back Mountain Road in Cass. Pick up students the length of Back Mountain Road until the Grant Vandeveder Road. Turn right on the Grant Vandevender Road and proceed to Route 92/250. Turn right onto south 92/250 stopping at Varner’s, Kinder’s Market and near the laundromat. Proceed to Frank, to the intersection at John’s Run Road, and along 92/250 in Bartow picking up students. Proceed to Green Bank Elementary Middle School.
Evening Run: Reverse of the Morning Run.
SNOW ROUTE: From GBEMS to Bartow, Frank and Durbin on Route 92. From west end of Durbin to Frank, Bartow on Route 92/250 from Bartow back to GBEMS on Route 92. May pick up students that other buses cannot
RESIGNATION: THOMAS J. MADISON, due to retirement, as School Bus Operator for Pocahontas County Schools, effective at the end of the 2018-2019 school year.
RESIGNATION: CORA LEE CARPENTER, due to retirement, as Executive Secretary/Accountant III for Pocahontas County Schools, effective at the end of the 2018-2019 school year.
EMPLOYMENT: SUSAN RAY, as Substitute Teacher for Pocahontas County Public Schools, effective March 13, 2019, for the remainder of the 2018-2019 school year, as needed, at state basic pay.
Marlinton Elementary School:
RESIGNATION: JOANN V. ESTEP, due to retirement, as Secretary III/Accountant III at Marlinton Elementary School, effective at the end of the 2018-2019 school year.
RESIGNATION: DEBORAH A. IRVINE, due to retirement, as Teacher of Physical Education at Marlinton Elementary School, effective at the end of the 2018-2019 school year.
Marlinton Middle School:
RESIGNATION: SETH KIRILUK, as Teacher of Social Studies at Marlinton Middle School, retroactive to the end of the day on March 6, 2019.
Green Bank Elementary-Middle School:
RESIGNATION: ELAINE J. SHEETS, due to retirement, as Teacher of Multi-Subjects at Green Bank Elementary-Middle School, effective at the end of the 2018-2019 school year.
RESIGNATION: ALESIA WAYNE, due to retirement, as Title I Reading Specialist at Green Bank Elementary-Middle School, effective at the end of the 2018-2019 school year.
Pocahontas County High School:
EMPLOYMENT: STEPHANIE L. BARKLEY, as Athletic Director for Spring Sports at Pocahontas County High School, at $20 per hour, not to exceed $1,000, effective for the 2018-2019 season. (NOTE: Position pending on sufficient number of players to make a team.)