Pocahontas County Board Of Education Meeting Agenda, Monday, 5-22-17
On Monday, May 22nd at 2:30 p.m. at the Marlinton Middle School, the Pocahontas County Board of Education will hold a work session with the Staffs of both Marlinton Middle School and Hillsboro Elementary School. This will be immediately followed by a regular Board of Education meeting at the same location. Here is the agenda for the regular meeting.
The regular meeting will begin with approval of the minutes from the last Board meeting.
After approving of this agenda, the Board will hear comments from the public – called “Delegations.”
Next the Board will receive Mr. Beam’s Superintendent’s Report and any Special Recognitions he wishes to offer.
The Board will receive informational reports from Kayla Gibson, the PCHS Student Representative to the Board of Education; /Barbara Lay, CEO of Pocahontas Memorial Hospital, Rebecca Spencer, Principal of Hillsboro Elementary School; and Joe Riley, Principal of Pocahontas County High School.
The Board will then examine and consider approval for payment of a number of routine financial matters, including: payment of vender bills; the Bank Reconciliation Report for March; payroll for May 8th; budget adjustments; the Summary Schedule of Revenues and Expenditures on a cash basis through the end of April; and grant awards.
In addition to those routine financial matters, the Board will also delegate to the Superintendent’s Office the following authority to make financial decisions prior to Board approval from May 23rd to June 30th:
- Payment of bills
- Making of Budget Adjustments
- Acceptance of Grant Awards
The Board will also consider approval of the Pocahontas County Schools Budget for the School Year 2017-2018.
They will consider approval of the following items on this agenda:
- A Retainer Agreement for Legal Services provided by the law firm of Dinsmore & Shohl, LLP effective from July 1st, 2017 through June 30, 2018.
- An increase in the cost of EXTRA milk from 25 cents per carton to 40 cents per carton, effective for the 2017-2018 school year.
- An increase in the price of adult lunches from $3.25 per meal to $4.25 per meal effective for the 2017-2018 school year.
The Board will also consider approving of the following curriculum additions for PCHS for next school year:
- Adding two new 2 credit courses, Physical Education/Health and College Algebra/Statistics.
- Establishing standards for the Statistics course offered at PCHS
- Allowing PCHS students to combine Spanish 5 and Spanish 6 as one 2 credit course.
- The offering of the following courses through Marshall University and taught by a Marshall University Teacher at a cost of $75.00 per class taken:
- Law Enforcement 201
- Criminal Justice 200
- General Psychology 200
- Advanced Psychology 201
The Board will then consider approval of a Personnel Agenda which includes an item allowing the Schools to post and fill positions prior to Board Approval effective May 23rd, 2017 through August 7th, 2017. This proposed Personnel Agenda can be found following this story.
The Board members will then each have the opportunity to present comments to the Board, after which the meeting will be adjourned.
May 22, 2017
Professional and Service Personnel
Pocahontas County Schools
|PAMELA M. VANORSDALE as School Bus operator for Pocahontas County Schools, effective for the 2017-2018 school year. Term of Employment is 200 days.
|CREATION OF POSITION||Math Coach (half time) for Pocahontas County Schools, at state basic salary based on degree and experience, effective for the 2017-2018 school year. Term of employment is 200 one-half days.
|EMPLOYMENT||Jared s. Bennett AS Coordinator of Teaching and Learning, effective July 1, 2017 through August 9, 2017, at daily rate of pay, not to exceed 28 days.
|PERMISSION||To post and fill positions prior to Board approval, effective May 23, 2017 through august 7, 2017.