DEQ Announces ACP Comment Opportunities
The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection have formally announced the dates for hearings and comment periods for considering applications for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline to be certified in each state under the requirements of Section 401 of the Clean Water Act.
The June 30 announcement from DEQ calls for an overall comment period from July 3 to August 22 for draft water quality certifications for both the ACP and the Mountain Valley Pipeline plus public hearings – 3 for the ACP and 2 for the MVP to be conducted in August.
The draft certification documents for each pipeline upon which comments should be made are written with the presumption that the pipeline qualifies for receiving certification. Thus, the burden for persons submitting written comments or providing oral testimony at the hearings is to provide arguments as to why the ACP or MVP should not receive certification from the DEQ.
The public hearings schedule for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline is:
- Monday, August 7, 2017, from 6 to 10 p.m.– James Madison University, Festival Conference and Student Center, Harrisonburg, VA
- Thursday, August 10, 2017, from 6 to 10 p.m. – Longwood University, Jarman Auditorium, Farmville, VA
- Monday, August 14, 2017, from 6 to 10 p.m. – Dinwiddie High School Auditorium, Dimwiddie, VA
The West Virginia DEP published on July 1 in local newspapers its notice of a comment period for Section 401 certification for the ACP. The comment period concludes August 4. Written comments should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: WVDEP Division of Water and Waste Management, Att: Laura Cooper, 601 57th Street SE, Charleston, WV 25304-2345.
Public hearings will be held on:
- Monday, July 31, 6 p.m. – Buckhannon-Upshur High School Audiorium, Buckhannon, WV
- Tuesday, August 1, 6 p.m.-PocahontasCountyHigh School Auditorium, Dunmore, WV