Marlinton Depot Reconstruction To Begin Soon
Marlinton, WV – Marlinton Mayor Joe Smith tells Allegheny Mountain Radio on Thursday that he received the contract for the rebuilding of the historic Marlinton Railroad Depot.
“I was very happy, yesterday, that we received the signed contract for the depot, for our signatures,” he said. “They came by special delivery yesterday at two o’clock. I called the president of the depot association, which is Sue Herrold. She came down last night and affixed her signatures, and the only thing we’re lacking now to proceed is the signature of the county commission president, Mr. Fleming.”
Smith said he did not know if the county commission would have to convene a meeting to approve Fleming’s endorsement. The mayor said he expects construction to begin this month.
“Everything is in place,” he said. “We’re hoping to have a meeting next week with the contractor, as far as staging area, parking area and what-not. Construction – hopefully, hopefully – will begin around mid-May, with a completion date of October.”
Smith said a reputable firm from Morgantown won the contract to rebuild the depot.
“Allegheny Restorations, out of Morgantown,” he said. “They should have expertise in restoring old facilities. Of course, ours is a rebuild, but they have a respectable reputation.”
The total project cost is more than $742,000. A transportation enhancement grant of $335,000; a scenic byways grant of $86,000 and insurance proceeds of $100,000 are helping to fund the project, along with more than $178,000 generated from private and local government donations.
Once completed, the depot will house an historic interpretive center, a tourist information center and handicapped-accessible public restrooms.
The Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad completed tracks to Marlinton on October 26, 1900. Residents of the town held a huge Grand Rally celebration on that day. The railroad station was completed in February 1901 and remained in service with the railroad until 1978. Between 1988 and 2008, the depot served as the home of the county Convention and Visitors Bureau. Fire mostly destroyed the building on March 28, 2008. Fire officials determined the cause of the fire was faulty electrical wiring.