Pocahontas High Schoolers: Want to win $1000.00?
The Eight Rivers Council is running an essay contest for high school aged students -born between September 1st, 2001 and August 31st, 2005- who live in Pocahontas County and either attend PCHS or are being home-schooled here.
Teens who qualify should write an essay which answers the question:
“How may I contribute to saving the planet, starting in Pocahontas County?”
To enter you must first fill out the entry form and submit it to eight Rivers Council on or before January 15th, 2020. The application form and instructions with the competition requirements are available to download on their website www.eight-rivers.org.
Once you downloaded the entry form, complete it, making sure you check all the required boxes and sign it. Then mail it to: Eight Rivers Council PO Box 282 Hillsboro, WV 24946. Remember the deadline for submitting the entry form is January 15th, The entry form and complete instructions and competition requirements are available to download at: www.eight-rivers.org.
Once you have submitted the application and entry form, you will have until March 1st, 2020 to submit your essay/video. Here is a summary of the project requirements:
- Choose one environmental issue pertaining to Pocahontas County (and the planet) about which you are passionate.
- Conduct research on the issue, collecting data such as history, facts, figures, scientific studies, quotes from interviews with scientists or other experts.
- Think creatively and make decisions about what can be done and specifically what you and others can do to make a positive impact.
- Write an informed and convincing essay (1000 to 3000 words), making a case as to why your chosen issue is important to Pocahontas County and to you personally.
- Make sure your essay states the actions you can take or the contributions you can make.
- Your essay should demonstrate passion and include solid solutions. Using pictures, charts, and diagrams are suggested, but not necessary.
- Cite your sources on a separate page, using Modern Language Association (MLA) format.
Along with your essay. You will need to produce an interesting supporting video, in which you introduce and summarize your essay. This video should be 3 to 5 minutes long.
If you have any questions you can send them to the following email address: award@eight-Rivers.org
Once you have completed your essay and video, submit them On or before March 1, 2020, by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach the 3 parts of your entry (essay, source page, video) separately.
The winner will be notified by April 8th, and the award will be publicly announced on Earth Day – Wednesday, April 22, 2020 – at the Hillsboro Library Public Affairs Briefing, during which the winner will present their essay and video to the audience and the final award of $1000.00 will be presented to the winner at that time.
This is a special opportunity for young people in Pocahontas County to speak out about the issues they will face in the future, as well as an opportunity for them to earn some money to perhaps help them with their future college education. So, if you passionate about the environment, or know a young person who is, visit the website – www.eight-rivers.org – and download the entry form and the complete competition rules. Remember, you only have until January 15th to submit your entry form, but will have until March 1st to submit your final essay and video.