U.S. Forest Service Announces Mon Forest Closures for Pipeline Construction
On March 7,2018 the U.S. Forest Service issued an order that effective March 8, 2018 and to last until July 9, 2018, unless they terminate the order sooner, that all access in the Monongahela National Forest to areas within 200 feet of the centerline of the Atlantic Coast Pipeline right of way are closed to the public.
The announced order also prohibits all use of the following roads during construction and when closed by a sign, gate or barricade: Allegheny Road (Forest Road 55) from its junction with State Route 84 north to the pipeline centerline (2.8 miles)
- Allegheny Road (Forest Road 55) from its junction with State Route 84 north to the pipeline centerline (2.8 miles)
- Upper Shock Run Road (FR 1017) from the pipeline centerline north 200 feet
- Buzzard Ridge Road (FR 1026) from where the road crosses onto NFS land (near US 219) north and east to where the road exits NFS land (4.2 miles)
- Sugar Camp Road (FR 1012) from where the road crosses onto NFS land (near SR 92) north to the pipeline centerline (1.78 miles.)
The National Forest Order grants the following exemptions to these restrictions:
- Persons with a permit authorizing them to enter the restricted areas
- Land owners or lessees of land in the area
- Residents in the area
- Federal, State or Local authorities or members of official fire or rescue organizations in the performance of their duties.
The Order also specified penalties for violating the order. These are $5,000.00 for an individual and $10,000 for an organization and/or imprisonment for 6 months or both.
The press release issued by the National Forest Service about this order also notes that 5.1 miles of the Atlantic Coast Pipeline traverses through the Mon Forest.
The press release also provided a link to their website to view maps of the closed areas, however the link to the maps of these closures was not working when we attempted to access them. That may be fixed later so we include the below links
Maps and other details are available at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mnf/notices/?cid=FSEPRD573462.
More information on the ACP Project on National Forest System lands can be viewed at www.fs.usda.gov/gwj/.