WV Attorney General To Host Informational Events
In a press release dated April 22nd, West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey announced an emphasis on the importance of identifying and reporting elder abuse, neglect and exploitation as part of Money Smart Week, which runs Saturday, April 21, through Friday, April 27. Money Smart Week is a nationwide initiative designed to remind consumers about financial literacy and educate them on ways to protect personal information.
Office representatives will host numerous events across north central West Virginia to raise awareness as to the warning signs of financial exploitation, a key part of the Attorney General’s newly-formed elder abuse litigation and prevention unit.
Each location will have special material on how to identify and report exploitation. It will include contact information for the Attorney General’s newly established senior services and elder abuse hotline – 304-558-1155 or HelpForSeniors@wvago.gov.
AG Morrisey said “Money Smart Week allows us to provide important information to consumers of all ages, however the vulnerability of our senior citizen population demands specific attention. Information shared at our events will help all consumers make smart decisions, better manage their personal finances and avoid becoming a victim.”
National research estimates 10 percent of persons age 60 and older have experienced some form of abuse or exploitation and in many instances the conduct goes unreported. That’s of particular concern in West Virginia where it is estimated 18.8 percent of the state’s population is 65 years and older.
This year’s events for north central West Virginia include locations in Phillpi, Buckhannon, Elkins and Harman. For a complete list of locations and times, please visit this story on alleghenymountainradio.org. A link where senior citizens and their loved ones can subscribe to email alerts from the AG’s office is included as well.
- April 23: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Money Smart Week Mobile Office Hours at Barbour County Premier Bank, 2 S. Main St., Philippi
- April 24: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Money Smart Week Mobile Office Hours at Harrison County Premier Bank, 25 Oakmont Ln., Bridgeport
- April 25: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Money Smart Week Mobile Office Hours at Upshur County Premier Bank, 14 N. Locust St., Buckhannon
- April 27: 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. — Money Smart Week Mobile Office Hours at Randolph County Senior Center, 5th & Railroad Ave., Elkins
- April 27: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Money Smart Week Mobile Office Hours at Harman Senior Center Inc., Mott St., Harman
Senior citizens and their loved ones can subscribe to the email alerts at http://bit.ly/SeniorScamAlert.